The tofu in this summer roll is firm and flavourful due to the lemongrass marinade. The filling of these vegan Vietnamese summer rolls is so savoury and fresh in taste that carnivores beg for more!
- 250 g solid tofu 1, thawed
- 2 tbsp vegan Vietnamese dip sauce, nuoc cham
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 3 tbsp cornflour on a plate
- 1 tbsp oil
Spring onion oil, optional:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 spring onion, minced
- Small amount of grated ginger, optional
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- Pinch of pepper and salt
- 8 Vietnamese rice paper sheets 2
- 100 g thin rice noodles 3
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled
- Pickled sweet and sour carrot
- Few leaves of coriander and / or Thai basil leaves
- Spring onion oil, optional
- Homemade crispy onions or from the store, optional
Vegan Vietnamese dip sauce, nuoc cham
Pickled sweet and sour carrot:
Make according to this recipe. Put the jar in the fridge. Make this at least an hour in advance. If you have cut thicker strips instead of julienne, you should definitely leave the carrot in the fridge overnight.
Marinating the lemongrass tofu:
Drying the tofu:
First cut the tofu into 4 equal pieces and again cut each piece into 4 thin slices. Put a clean tea towel on the counter. Lay all the slices in one layer on one half of the tea towel. Lay the other half of the towel on the tofu slices. Squeeze as much as possible moisture out of the tofu but do not crush the tofu.
Marinating: Cut away the bottom part of the lemongrass stalk and the upper part of the stem. Now you have about 10 cm of lemongrass. If it is a thick stem then you also remove the outer hard layer from the stem. Cut thin rings of it and chop or pound (in a mortar) the rings as small as possible.
Now mix all the ingredients on a deep diner plate and drown the tofu slices in the marinade. Make sure all slices of marinade are covered. Cover with foil and put in the fridge for an hour. Don’t store in the refrigerator for longer than 24 hours.
Baking crispy onions:
According to this recipe. Or buy a bag in the store.
Spring onion oil:
Heat the oil, spring onion and ginger (if you use it) together in the microwave or in a small saucepan until the spring onion is soft. This might take a minute. Add the sesame oil, pepper and salt to taste. The oil is immediately suitable for use. You can also make it a day in advance and store in the refrigerator.
Baking the tofu:
Place a few slices on a plate covered with cornflour. Make sure the tofu slices have a thin layer of the flour and tap off the excess. Place the breaded slices on another plate. Repeat with the rest of the tofu slices.
Warm oil in a non-stick frying pan. Bake the tofu crispy over medium heat, about 3 minutes per side. Place on a plate with kitchen paper.
Halve the cucumber by the length. Scrape away the seeds with a spoon. Cut the cucumber into thin strips.
Prepare them according to the instructions on the package.
Make the dipping sauce.
Prepare all ingredients and a shallow plate of cold water.
Wet a rice sheet. Shake off the excess water and place the still hard rice paper on a cutting board.
Place a small row of all the ingredients on the sheet. Start 2 to 3 cm free from the bottom edge. Keep 2 cm away from the sides and around 6 from the top edge. Fold the bottom edge to the filling and then the side edges. Now roll upwards while holding your filling in place with your fingers.
Go to this blog post for instructional photos and explanation.
Serve immediately or pack per piece in household foil. This way you can keep the summer rolls fresh for at least three hours.
- You can easily press the moisture out of tofu that has been frozen. If you like a firm, almost meaty texture, store the tofu in the freezer immediately after purchase. Defrosting the tofu: Place the frozen tofu in the fridge the night before to defrost or else in the microwave.
- Rice sheets: do not buy the rice sheets intended for deep-frying. They are slightly thicker and therefore tougher.
- Rice noodles: buy THIN RICE NOODLES. Not the flat rice noodles, egg noodles or something like that.
Keywords: summer, picnic, summer rolls, light, tofu, vegan, fresh