Fresh, light and delicious: Vietnamese rice noodle salad with prawns and fragrant lemongrass, sweet and sour carrot, crispy lettuce and fresh herbs in Vietnamese dressing of lime, fish sauce, garlic and chili.
Filling of a Vietnamese summer roll
If you read the description of this recipe does it sound familiar to you? You’re right, all parts in this Vietnamese rice noodle salad are also in a Vietnamese summer roll. And I discussed the tips for the perfect summer roll extensively last week.
“A filling of an authentic summer roll is actually a Vietnamese rice noodle salad in a tight rice skin.”
The rolls look great but will take a lot of time if you have to make many of it. If you don’t feel like doing this, you have the following two options:
1) Do like most Vietnamese: put all ingredients for the summer rolls on the table and let everyone roll themselves. In our early years, two older ladies ordered this menu unsuspectingly and were extremely concerned that paying guests “should take over the work of the kitchen.” If you suspect that your visit will not be enthusiastic, go for option 2:
2) Discard the rice sheets and make a large bowl of this Vietnamese rice noodle salad with lemongrass-shrimp for everyone.
Tips for Vietnamese rice noodle salad with shrimp
If you have the time, make the pickled carrot one day in advance. If this does not work, use fresh carrots that you have cut into thin strips.
You can also make the Vietnamese sauce a day in advance. You could double the sauce recipe so that you can roll summer rolls the next day.
Vegan Vietnamese rice noodle salad
It is not difficult to make this rice noodle salad vegan. Use the tofu (instead of the shrimp) in this recipe for vegan summer rolls and the vegan alternative to Vietnamese dip sauce that I posted earlier.
And also view the simple recipe for
. These sweet, spicy tomatoes are a very tasty addition. Even if you do not eat vegan.Print
Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad With Shrimp
Vietnamese rice noodle salad with shrimp and vegetables
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: fish, main course
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- 400 gr thin rice noodles/ noodles
- 2 pieces of mini romaine lettuce
- 1 small cucumber
- Pickled carrot or 3 or 4 fresh carrots
- Small handful of Thai basil, coarsely chopped
- Small handful of coriander, coarsely chopped
- Vietnamese dip sauce/ vinaigrette, to taste
- 450 gr of shrimp, thawed *
- 2 or 3 stems of lemongrass
- 2 tsp of hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp honey or agave syrup
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil for baking
- Crispy shallots and garlic or spring onion oil
- Coarsely chopped roasted peanut
- Good looking leaves of Thai basil and/ or coriander
4 deep plates
- Make the sweet and sour carrot a few hours in advance or replace with fresh carrot that you cut into thin strands/ strips.
- Make the shallots, garlic and/or spring onion oil if you use them.
- The Vietnamese vinaigrette / dip sauce can also be made the day before.
- Lemongrass shrimp:
- Peel the shrimp and remove the black intestine if necessary.
- Rinse the prawns and pat them dry with kitchen paper.
- Mince the softer part of the lemongrass as described here.
- Mix lemongrass, shrimp and other ingredients. Let marinate for half an hour. Bake the shrimp just before serving.
- Raw vegetables and Vietnamese rice noodles:
- Halve the cucumber by the length and scrape out the seeds. Lay the cucumbers with the flat side on the cutting board. Cut into thin diagonal slices. Lay the slices flat, but they still have to overlap. Cut thin strips from the slices.
- Cut away the bottom of the romaine lettuce. Rinse the loose leaves clean and pat them dry. Save 4 beautiful leaves for the decoration. Cut the rest transversely into thin strips.
- Prepare the Vietnamese rice noodles as described on the package. Rinse under cold running water. This is to prevent the rice noodles from becoming a sticky ball. Drain in a colander.
Just before serving:
- Place a leaf of lettuce, sliced lettuce, rice noodles, sweet and sour carrot, cucumber and chopped herbs on each plate. Spread a little sauce over the rice noodle salad. Put the rest of the sauce on the table.
- Heat a tablespoon oil in a frying pan. Bake the shrimp for 2 minutes on each side. Or until the inside of the shrimp is not glassy but white.
- Place the shrimp on the rice noodles. Garnish with whole basil and/or coriander leaves, fried onions and/or spring onion oil and chopped peanut.
Keywords: Vietnamese, rice noodle salad, shrimp, summer roll, lemongrass, summer, picnic