With Korean fermented chili paste in the house, you can put this dish on the table in fifteen minutes. The sauce is full of flavour, spicy and with a little sweetness. You keep eating it! Replace meat with fried tofu for a vegan meal.
Easy and quick Korean dinner
Put meat, mushrooms and seasonings in a pan and stir fry for about 10 minutes until the meat is cooked: it can’t be easier, right? Serve this dish with rice and vegetables (with the cold Korean spinach for example).
You can use different types of pork for this dish. When you use bacon, first bake it crispy before you fry it with the rest of the ingredients.
“For a tasteful vegan version: replace the meat with fried tofu (in the cooling compartment of the Asian food shop). The spongy tofu is full of delicious sauce. Every bite is a flavour sensation!”
Necessary seasoning: fermented Korean chili paste (Gochujang)
You could replace or omit flavours such as sesame oil, soy sauce and Korean chili powder. But the Korean chili paste is indispensable. This fermented paste of chili peppers, soybeans and glutinous rice gives this dish its distinct and full flavour.
What do I do with the rest of the Korean chili paste?
Here are some suggestions (without having to remove any other ingredients from the shop):
- Chili mayonnaise: mix chili paste with white vinegar or lemon juice, chopped spring onion, pressed garlic, mayonnaise and fish sauce for a spicy chili mayonnaise. Fantastic at the BBQ!
- Pasta salad: mix the chili mayonnaise with yogurt and make a pasta or potato salad.
- Siege: spread a slice of bread with a thin layer of chili paste. Cover with cucumber, red onion (10 minutes in white vinegar) and herring.
- Stir-fry sauce: use the ingredients for the sauce in this recipe with a few tablespoons of water as a stir-fry sauce for shrimp and blanched broccoli.
- Spicy hummus: stir a spoonful of (home-made or ready-made) hummus. Garnish with a few drops of sesame oil and sesame seeds.
“The chili paste can be stored in the fridge for at least a month after opening. I myself have never had to throw away a bowl because it was no longer good. Not even the one time I found an open container in the back of the fridge. After a long time.”
Ready In 15 Minutes: Pork With Mushrooms In Spicy Korean Sauce
On the table in 15 minutes: pork with mushrooms in spicy Korean sauce
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: meat, Korean dinner
- Method: stir-frying
- Cuisine: Korean
- 1 or 2 tbsp oil
- 300 gr pork (tenderloin or neck) or bacon, in thin slices 1
- For a vegan version: 200 to 300 g fried tofu 2
- 1 medium onion, in thin strips
- 300 gr mushrooms and/or oyster mushrooms, in coarse strips
- 2 spring onions (the white to light green part), diagonally in wide strips
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp mirin (sweet rice wine) or honey 3
- 1 tbsp soy sauce 4
- 2 to 3 tbsp Korean chili paste
- ½ – 2 tbsp Korean chili powder, optional
- White sesame seeds, roasted in a dry pan
- The green part of 2 spring onions, in thin rings
- Heat up a pan and add the oil. For a pan with a non-stick coating, 1 tbsp of oil is enough.
- If you use bacon for this recipe, fry it crispy in a few minutes before putting the rest of the ingredients in the pan. If you use pork tenderloin, neck or tofu, all ingredients may be added to the hot pan at once.
- Stir fry everything on a medium heat until the meat is cooked and the onions are caramelised. This takes around 10 minutes.
- Taste and add more flavourings if desired.
- Garnish the dish. Serve with rice and spinach in sesame oil.
- For nice thin slices of meat: put the meat/ bacon in the freezer for half an hour to an hour before you cut it.
- Vegan: the fried tofu from the Asian shop are airy and very spongy. To be found in the fridge or freezer compartment.
- If you do not want to use mirin or honey (not vegan), replace it with ½ to 1 tbsp sugar.
- Gluten-free: replace soy sauce with gluten-free soy sauce.
Keywords: spicy, Korean, pork, Mushrooms, Sauce, dinner, meat, quick, fast, 15 minutes